19 October 2008

Soldiers are Like Hammers

Soldiers are like hammers.

A good hammer does what you ask of it without
breaking;
A good soldier follows ordrs without
flaking.

Applaud soldiers who follow orders. They're doing their job.

If you have problem with a war, criticize not the troops, criticize the overall mission.

Many are confused about this. Some think it's hypocritical to criticize a war while supporting the troops.

It's not.

In criticizing a war effort, it is useful to bear in mind that there is seldom a war that is 100% without merit. Instead of criticizing troops fighting a war you disagree with, it's better to say something like, "I have no problem with our troops, who bring honor upon themselves with their unflinching allegiance to a larger cause, and I would never want them to do otherwise. However, I am not a soldier, and I am an American, and in my role as an American civilian, it is fitting and proper that I for me to point out ways that our warblueprint might be constructive modified.

Don't ask troops to second-guess or resist their commanders. It's not the soldiers' job to question the war they are fighting.

If you have a problem with a war being fought, confine your criticisms to the purpose and rationale for the the war, not to the warriors.

If you criticize the warriors, you may deeply regret this the next time a war comes along that you very much agree with. You may be dismayed to find that the warriors you need badly are not as effective as you would like because of their lack of support during the previous go-around.

********************************

Some people wear a bracelet to remember a soldier who in in combat, and remove the bracelet when the soldier comes home safe.

Maybe I should wear a bracelet when I loan a hammer to a neighbor, and take the bracelet off when the hammer comes home safe. :0)
.

No comments: