From this website
To add to the "toolbox" of bias-detection indicators, here are two I use:
1) When a perspective is presented with a tone of fear or great urgency, warning lights should go off. Example: government vaccine conspiracy assertions.
2) Anytime someone starts out saying "I find it interesting..." or "It's curious that..." or other similar phrase, it almost always means they are mad at you, and have quite likely compromised scientific detachment. They say "interesting" or "curious" or another similar word to try to disguise or balance the anger they have.
(An aside: Finding something to be "interesting" when you are really just mad reminds me of calling problems "issues." While calling problems "issues" does establish a clinical, objective tone to solving problems, it is also a way to try to avoid the grim meathook reality in many cases that if the problem is not solved, you will be fired or dumped or painfully ostracized or whatever. I digress.)
.
03 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment