20 October 2009

Comment on Homeless Director Having Skeletons in His Closet

Link to article

John wrote:

All quite true, but the reality of this sort of job is that they have trouble getting people to take them, so they will take pretty much anyone; backgrounding would only raise liabilities by exposing that which they don't want to know about. Not a good state of affairs but rather common, I'm afraid.

good job at bringing up the dark side of things, john, and giving a "big picture" view. thank you. commendable.

Everyone gets so high on their moral horses these days. A fact that escapes too many people is that their petty little ethical sandcastles can be easily washed away. I could give umpteen examples, but I will give only one: Leningrad in WWII. The city was being starved out by the Nazis. Cannibalism was breaking out. Ordinary folks: cannibalism. Yes. Anyone who is all high-and-mighty about Loisel's actions would do very well to reflect upon the fact that under the right conditions, you, too, could become a cannibal, or engage in similarly self-centered behavior. Yu are a cannibla in the bud. Don't just assume you are exempt. Get your nose out of the air. People get dark. Big deal. We hang out with them everyday.(For example, I had a boss who was an ex-Nazi in the Luftwaffe. I'm not making this up. We got along OK, and he did his job and enjoyed his grandchildren. We mingle all the time with people with dark shames in their closets. So what.)

I'm trying to put Loisel's past into perspective. "He who is without sin..." etc.
.

No comments: