04 November 2009

Hospital RNs greed and laziness

One of my many rants against the hospital RNs getting ridiculous amounts of money and then whining that there aren't enough nurses (because they suck up all the money that could be used to buy more nurses)

Link to original comment thread


My comment:

My word, the union members look transparently greedy. After swearing up and down that the impending strike wasn't about money, and that it was really just about patient care, they TOOK THE MONEY and did ESSENTIALLY NOTHING about patient care and nursing staffing levels.

In a previous thread on the Sentinel website about the union announcing an impending strike, the nurses kept saying (even IN CAPS) sometimes that it was all about the patients, and that the 6% annual increase was just a bargaining chip. Oh, it was so heartfelt.

Horsefeathers! talk about being caught with your pants down.

The 4% the nurses got is real close to 6% "bargaining chip" in my book. They made it sound like the 6% would be given up to get better patient care, but that was not the case. Had they taken that 4% they did get, and used it to pay for more nursing instructors at the community colleges, and even helped finance a nursing training unit at Dominican, THAT would have really done something for the patient care levels. But no, they TOOK THE MONEY instead of helping to get more nurses, is what they need (and they KNOW they need -- but they are too greedy to act on what they deep down know...or too lazy to stand up against the status quo). They did not do a single thing to address the shortage. They don't want to lose their monopoly on gold-plated RN hospital wages.

Make no mistake:

1) It's about money and the RN stranglehold on gold-plated nurses salaries at the hospitals. They never mention that well-trained LVNs often run circles around RNs, for a lot cheaper.(I am a nurse, and I have seen this time and again.) They never mention the vast numbers of non-hospital nurses who receive roughly half of what they receive, often even less than half. They don't mention this because it would undermine their self-centered whiny demands.

2) They definitely don't care much about the patients, or they would see to it more nurses were brought into the fold. They don't want competition.

I am nauseated. What a bunch of whimpering undisciplined crybabies. god, I would not one of those character-challenged individuals taking care of me...but they have seen to it that, in a real jam, I will have no choice.

More pay isn't going to make for better nursing. What is going to make for better nursing is HAVING MORE NURSES, but that costs money that the RNs at Dominican are too selfish and lazy to give up. Is that 4% annual raise going to make you more efficient? No. We all know it. Do you care? No. The duplicity is breathtaking.

(By the way, I am a non-hospital nurse who has made $100k a year a number of times. I know what i am talking about. I spent many semesters watching the hospital nurse game during my training. I have many friends who are hospital nurses.)

The nurse unions' words aren't worth spit. Ignore them.
.

No comments: