19 May 2010

Post to Beatles' Bible

The following post appears on this page


Wednesday 19 May 2010 at 10.55pm
Unfathomably Deep Gaze While Dying says:

I get such a kick out of the fact George sat in with a local group when he was visiting in Benton, Illinois, in 1963, pre-Stateside Beatlemania. The local group was called the Four Vests, and was playing in a humble local venue. I remember reading somewhere that Louise, George's sister, was blown away by George's performance, and thought something like, "If he, alone, is just one-quarter of his group, I can't imagine what the whole group together is like." I would suppose that George played the songs that were his showcase pieces, such as "Roll Over Beethoven," which a reasonably competent bingo hall-type band would know or could pick up very quickly, and would allow George to deliver the full force of his abilities.

There's a book about this trip that I haven't yet read, called "Before He Was Fab." Here's the link.


.

No comments: