Post to NY Times about a student who owes $100k in loans. It's not right that I was so thrilled to get this dubbed a "Highlight" by the NY Times post screener. I had expected it to get blocked. I am surprised at how moved I was, and how much it mattered to me, to get it singled out as a highlight:
Highlight:
[Clicking on the above word "Highlight" gets you this definition: A selection of the most interesting and thoughtful comments that represent a range of views.]
Display Name
Bejeweled Paisley Kumquat
Location
Now, Eternity
There are three things open and shut here:
1) Cortney can afford to pay her loans.
2) I would hesitate to hire Cortney because she didn't see this coming ($100k in debt). If she didn't foresee the ramifications of $100k in debt, having four years to mull it over, I would have misgivings about her basic life skill levels. At minimum, if she was late in seeing this coming, she should keep that very much under her hat. She should buck up and pay up, and say very little.
3) The government has a racket. They allow citizens to fail and declare bankruptcy, unless it is the government's money (Sallie Mae). In that case, they insist on the money. This is a transparent travesty. This is the open-and-shut unfairness that you've come to expect from the ethical amputees of Congress. (Here's another good one: If you didn't file taxes over 7 years ago, you still must file and pay what you owe, but -- get this! -- if you are owed a refund, you don't get any refund! There is zero rationale for this. It's 100% unfair, and the morally paralyzed deadbeats in Congress are too ethically anesthetized to change this. I understand, I understand, you congressional fame gluttons: you've been SO busy taking calls from lobbyists writing checks for your re-election and your astronomical hairspray bills, that you haven't had time to tend to the incoming messages of your conscience. Poor babies. )
.
02 June 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment