01 April 2013

Commnet on Shamans and Healers: The Untold Ayahuasca Story From a Shaman's Apprentice

Link to post about Andrew Osta book

Anonymous wrote that the author, Andrew Osta, was "extremely gullible and comes across as a very confused individual, although he seems to think his observations are astute."

Huh? 

I saw it this way: Osta was wading into a novel situation. He systematically experienced it, and sorted it out. The phrase "extremely gullible" -- no, that did not apply. All the way through, Osta documented his doubts about Javier, and Javier's inconsistencies. He went along with Javier because there was ample reason not to write him off completely. 

The book abounds with examples of Osta articulating his doubts. Here is but one example of many: 

"But I wasn't stupid, and could usually tell when he [Javier] was lying. The problem was that Javier would never admit to being dishonest. He would make up a excuses or change the subject, but never admit to lying."

Being "extremely gullible" would have meant that Osta was 100% uncritically accepting everything Javier said at face value, all of the time. Certainly, he was not doing this. 

I also didn't see Osta as being "extremely confused." I saw him as very clearly laying his deliberations about important issues, such as the situation with Ninfa. He laid bare these deliberations for all to see. This is not being confused. This is being very clear-eyed and transparent about dilemmas. 

I also didn't get the impression that Osta thought his observations were exceptionally astute. I simply saw him as reporting what he was seeing, without tooting his horn. He freely would point out when, in retrospect, he was wrong in his assessment of a person or situation.

I can see from reading your other reviews that you are given to scathing hyperbole. The quality of of reviews would increase if you were more nuanced.

Andrew, don't take this guy's criticisms personally. You wrote a damn fine book. You're not the only one who has been exposed to Anonymous's blistering one-dimensional assessments. To paraphrase Anonymous's own criticism of you, he comes across as a very confused individual who seems to think his observations are astute.

(Disclaimer: Andrew Osta and I have never met or had any kind of contact. We don't know each other.)

No comments: