23 April 2014

Post about GMOs to Mother Jones

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2014/04/superweeds-arent-only-trouble-gmo-soy#comment-1352316983
You're talking about the fragility of one human being.  I am talking about the extreme resilience of 7 billion(!) human beings.  I am talking about race of human beings who have had their number brutally pruned many times, by such calamities as the Black Plague, and yet has kept on keeping on. I am talking about a race that has had incredibly bad apples in positions of great power, who have been incredibly destructive (Hitler, etc.) -- and yet, the human race has kept on chugging.  If GMOs are so bad, show me the dead bodies...? Tell me one appreciable thing the GMOs have done to harm us?  An isolated event in a lab petri dish, with speculative extrapolations made from it, doesn't count. Why is our collective life expectancy increasing if GMOs are so bad?  Tell me any clear-cut harm on a scale of any significance that has come from GMOS? And, if GMOs really DO prove to be bad, explain to me exactly how they are going to kill every last person on the planet?  Yes, it may happen, but with no smoking gun evidence that GMOs are doing any appreciable harm, and given that humankind has managed to bounce back time and again from major "hits" to their population, I am very much doubting that GMOs will wipe out the entire species.  I am recalling what Andy Rooney said toward the very end of his 92-year life, something along the lines of, "I've been listening for nine decades about how everything is going down the tubes.  I'm still waiting." 

No comments: