06 May 2014

Post to Prescott's blog re; NDE debate

From this link:
http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/michael_prescotts_blog/2014/05/the-debate-to-nde-all-debates.html

Micheal: Yeah, I, too, tend to steer clear of debates. Debates all-too-often center around winning, not being right. Debaters can win by making the opponent look like weak, or tongue-tied, or like a fool; this has no place in a pursuit of truth. (This is the same problem I have with trial lawyers, BTW.)
Question for anyone: If you could have ONE person in the NDE corner for this upcoming debate, who would you pick? Remember that this is a debate, which has nothing necessarily to do with discovering truth, but instead all-too-often hinges on being seen as the dominant "alpha" person.
I don't have a thorough handle on all of the prominent pro-NDE personages, but off the top of my head, I am supposing that Chris Carter might well be a strong pro-NDE gladiator. He's feisty. I'm betting he'd be good at parrying cheap shots.
I'm not sure Eben Alexander is enough of a "street fighter." Certainly, I could be wrong!
That said, Novella and Carroll - a neurologist and and a physicist, respectively - might make the debate center on highly technical scientific details, which Alexander might well be better equipped to handle than Carter, a philosopher and writer. Then again, Carter has has an encyclopedic knowledge of NDE arguments and rebuttals, so he might hold his own just fine in a debate involving arcane scientific knowledge.
I don't yet have a sense of Raymond Moody.
Let the games begin! :)

No comments: