31 January 2009

Posting to Beatles song commentary website

A guy named JBev rated the entire Beatles' songbook in order, from #185 to #1, posted comments on each song, and posted links to the songs on YouTube.

Wow. What a job!

Here is a link to his work

Here is a comment I posted to his website"

PurpleNeonLights said:

Can you imagine how many people out there who have the unfathomably awesome feast in front of them of discovering the Beatles for the first time?

I’ve actually had dreams about hearing a new Beatle song for the first time.

Alas, that will never again happen to me. But for some, they can have the boggling experience of discovering the Beatles from the ground up.

I am so happy you have taken time to do this JBev. I was born in 1956 and the Beatles imprinted on my brain at tender age of 7. My 16 year old sister played their albums constantly, crying for hours in her room next to mine. I saw them live when I was nine. I have marinated my consciousness in Beatle music my entire life.

I remember the dark ages post-Beatles (the 70s and 80s in particular), and ranting about how all the stuff then just sucked and couldn’t hang with the Beatles. GIVE ME A BREAK. As if anyone is going to remember and revere Madonna, the Sex Pistols, rap, hip-hop and Nirvana 50 years form now. Sorry. Ain’t gonna happen. They just didn’t have the goods. To all of those who disagree with me: Sorry — you lose. The Beatles could’ve knocked out perfectly good copycat albums in any of those artists’ styles in a heartbeat. But could those artists step up to the level of the Beatles? Get real.

I feel sorry for those who imprinted on such third-rate shoddy minor leaguers. To rehab their lives, first they have to do an intervention on themselves and face up to the fact that they wasted their prime impressionable years listening to horsesh*t, then they have to repent and accept the Beatles as their only possible savior (yuk, yuk).

JBev, it is people like you who will prove as the decades go by that the Beatles are the only rock band that will be dissected centuries from now, like Bach and Beethoven.

(Incidentally I have similar rants about Jimi Hendrix when someone is so preposterous and lobotomized as to have the opinion that Robin Trower, Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. are even in the same building with Jimi. You can’t be serious! But I digress…)

Way to go, JBev.
.

No comments: