Stimulant abuse played a major role...?
IP: 67.164.61.11
Posted on 5/25/2009 at 02:28:28 AM by PurpleNeonLights
Here is a link to the thread in which this post appeared
I kinda wonder if Norm got heavy into coke in the 1970s. Coke was fashionable in that time frame. I had a number of friends go off the deep end with stimulant-induced psychosis in the 70s and early 80s. Their behavior was "Norm-like," with megalomania, and broad persecutory belief systems, and weird mentions of God and/or the Devil and/or Jesus (depending the person). My friends would also see threats where there weren't any. At first, I wondered if something was wrong with me, then I finally came to understand that my friends were doing crack and coke and crank; and that stimulants in general can make you exhibit the signs of schizophrenia. It was a learning curve. It took a while to understand why my girlfriend was spraying at cockroches that weren't there; and why my best male friend was seeing his girlfriend "doing it" in the bushes with someone else, while I saw nothing; and why another close friend was seeing flying saucers, while I saw nothing unusual.
Heavy use of coke would "dovetail" very nicely with Norm's going off the deep end in the 1970s, and could also fit well with the reports of heavy amounts of cash disappearing from Sunburst during that period.
Note: This is conjecture, only.
From what I have read of others' accounts, Norm eventually laid off the substances (alcohol and whatever else), bouncing back for about the last 25 years of his life.
I met Norm a few times in the mid-1980s, and he seemed "normal" to me (unintended pun). This would square with the hypothesis that, by that time, Norm was off psychosis-inducing drugs. But, my experience with him was limited. FWIW.
As far as my encounters with him, he was humble and helpful, and "on the mark." I benefited a lot from meeting with him. Again, FWIW.
Re: The molestations: Alas, his victims have a lot of work to do. (Out of respect for the scientific method, I will say that I personally have not seen "smoking gun" evidence that molestation occurred, but it seems very likely.) Underneath anger is hurt and loss. Forgiveness happens when it doesn't hurt anymore. Victims have to somehow find a way to not let the hurt and loss commandeer their consciousness. It can feel incredibly unfair to have to do this horribly difficult emotional processing job, and build new citadels of inner peace, but it has to be done. You had a hurricane hit you, and you have to pick up the pieces. It's beyond being a bitch, and can feel drive-you-insane wrong and unfair. Another hard thing to process is that dungeon-level consciousness can co-exist in the same soul with a highly-developed spiritual awareness. Getting one's heart and mind around that can be a long difficult job.
Cynicism can masquerade as wisdom, and can be a most-tempting counterfeit pot of gold, and can delay complete healing for a long time.
The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is increased wisdom and a stronger "peace center."
This is my take on all of this. I am sorry if perhaps a victim out there feels like I don't understand. I am doing the best that I can. (Have to sign off now -- getting kicked out of the coffee shop) Hang in there. Remember, the goal (and our destiny), says Yogananda, is unspeakable joy.
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment