Heads up. I lost 50 lbs and have kept it off for 2.5 years. I've done this by counting calories, period. I've eaten plenty of high-fructose corn syrup on he way. I've also gone through periods of eating very few sweets. It hasn't mattered either way. Calories matter.
Calories are like your money budget, If you exceed the budget, you will suffer. If you stay below the budget, you will prosper.
Calories are like dollars. Spend them wisely.
I'll eat high-fructose corn syrup products without a qualm. I simply count how many calories are in the product. It's all about calories.
Don't worry about Big Corn. Worry about Big Alternative Medicine. You want money-grubbers? Go to the big vitamin sales outfits. Go to your Agave salesperson.
Lovely Liquid Chords, santa cruz, ca
April 11, 2013 11:01am
************************************************
I received a dissenting post, and replied with this post:
************************************************
@kwok: You wrote: "calorie counting is the worst thing anybody should do for dietary/obesity control. Inaccurate and totally irrelevant."
No nuanced way to say this: You're wrong.
What I know is that by careful calorie counting -- and I mean by meticulous record-keeping, including measuring my exercise --I have complete command of my weight. Calorie counting works. Have you ever counted calories and monitored the result? That is one of the most reliable experiments I can think of to verify the practical effect of calories on weight. Do the experiment.
You sound like you are fueled by the fires of righteous indignation against modern agriculture, and this is taking away your ability to be dispassionate and accurate about this issue.
You cite Micheal Pollan. I am acquainted with Pollan's work, and he presents a biased one-sided history of man's quest for food and arranges facts so that the reader will conclude that industrial farming is evil, and a preindustrial way of growing and distributing food is right. He means well, but there is a deep undercurrent of pre-judgement in his work.
Ultimately what Pollan or you thinks is not relevant; what is relevant is to perform a calorie-counting experiment in real-world conditions, and note the results. Count calories -- and I mean count them accurately -- and you will see that this is the most powerful tool available to undo obesity. When in doubt, a good scientist does the experiment, and doesn't just read others' accounts.
April 11, 2013 11:01am
************************************************
I received a dissenting post, and replied with this post:
************************************************
@kwok: You wrote: "calorie counting is the worst thing anybody should do for dietary/obesity control. Inaccurate and totally irrelevant."
No nuanced way to say this: You're wrong.
What I know is that by careful calorie counting -- and I mean by meticulous record-keeping, including measuring my exercise --I have complete command of my weight. Calorie counting works. Have you ever counted calories and monitored the result? That is one of the most reliable experiments I can think of to verify the practical effect of calories on weight. Do the experiment.
You sound like you are fueled by the fires of righteous indignation against modern agriculture, and this is taking away your ability to be dispassionate and accurate about this issue.
You cite Micheal Pollan. I am acquainted with Pollan's work, and he presents a biased one-sided history of man's quest for food and arranges facts so that the reader will conclude that industrial farming is evil, and a preindustrial way of growing and distributing food is right. He means well, but there is a deep undercurrent of pre-judgement in his work.
Ultimately what Pollan or you thinks is not relevant; what is relevant is to perform a calorie-counting experiment in real-world conditions, and note the results. Count calories -- and I mean count them accurately -- and you will see that this is the most powerful tool available to undo obesity. When in doubt, a good scientist does the experiment, and doesn't just read others' accounts.
No comments:
Post a Comment